Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Making Sense of Luke 20

Two weeks ago in WCI we prepped on the passage Luke 20. After studying it on my own for a while, I understood the basic message, but it was still very complex. I couldn't really explain to the SGLs in my small group what some of the verses meant, and I think we left the meeting with more questions than actual answers (which is okay too - challenges you to think). However, yesterday, during small group, it was as if God flipped a switch in my head - I finally understood what it meant! But before I go into that, this was the passage we studied:

The Parable of the Tenants
He went on to tell the people this parable: "A man planted a vineyard, rented it to some farmers and went away for a long time. At harvest time he sent a servant to the tenants so they would give him some of the fruit of the vineyard. But the tenants beat him and sent him away empty-handed. He sent another servant, but that one also they beat and treated shamefully and sent away empty-handed. He sent still a third, and they wounded him and threw him out.

"Then the owner of the vineyard said, 'What shall I do? I will send my son, whom I love; perhaps they will respect him.'

"But when the tenants saw him, they talked the matter over. 'This is the heir,' they said. 'Let's kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.' So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.

"What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? He will come and kill those tenants and give the vineyard to others." When the people heard this, they said, "May this never be!"

Jesus looked directly at them and asked, "Then what is the meaning of that which is written:
" 'The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone? Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

The teachers of the law and the chief priests looked for a way to arrest him immediately, because they knew he had spoken this parable against them. But they were afraid of the people.

The part that my small group in WCI was particularly confused about was the part about the stone being the capstone. What does it mean when Jesus said "Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken into pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed." At the time, I think I tried to reason it out for my group, but I don't think I made much sense (sorry, guys!). But yesterday during small group, as we looked through this passage again, I had a thought. Now, I don't know if this is right, and I know there are more interpretations than the one I came up with, but I just thought it was really cool. :)

Jesus is the capstone, right? Everyone of us, when we die, will have to face judgment, believers and nonbelievers alike. We are all unworthy, and we all fall short of the glory of God. So before Jesus, everyone will fall into pieces, because we simply don't measure up. The second part of the verse, I feel, is speaking about those who have rejected Christ or never fully accepted Him into their hearts. God's judgment falls on all of us, but it crushes those who have rejected Him. There is also a difference between being broken and being crushed, because when something is broken into pieces, you can still glue it back together, or at least pick up the broken pieces. When something is crushed, it's like sand - you can't hold onto all of it, and you can't put it back together, either.

So cool. :) If you guys have a different interpretation, I would love to hear it! It's amazing when God's word finally makes sense.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

fyi it totally made sense when you said all that during sg -- i think i was just too confused to say anything, haha.

yay mel! :)

ps it's okay about the cookies