Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dying

Two days ago, my dad took Lucky, my dog, out for a walk around the neighborhood. After just one lap (he usually walks 4-5 with us), Lucky collapsed on the ground and started seizing. We took him to the vet, and the vet told us he has heartworms and they cause him to have heart attacks, which makes him go into shock. We took him home and gave him the required medicine, and up to last night, he was fine, or so it seemed.

This morning, before I was going to go pick up my sis, my mom looked into Lucky's room. She yelled at me to come quick, and for a second, I thought Lucky had died... luckily, he was still there. But he had mucus coming out of his mouth, nose, and eyes, and was so weak he couldn't get up when I went in to clean him up. I cleaned off all the stuff on his face, and put him in his carrier and we rushed him to the vet.

The whole time, Lucky looked like he was crying. If dogs could cry... this would be the day. He kept looking up at me with those sad brown eyes, tears (of pain? I'm not sure) coming out. My mom said he was crying because he wanted us to save him. I can't believe how much pain he must've been in - apparently, he suffered another heart attack. I heard his breathing grow shallower during the car ride, and I stuck a finger through the cage and massaged his back, all the while praying for God to give him one more breath, just one more, and then more. I kept praying this the whole way, and we finally got there. They gave Lucky a shot to stabalize him, and we took him home.

There's not much we can do for him as of now. The only doctors that specialize in heart problems for dogs are in Taipei, and even then, we're not sure if Lucky is strong enough to withstand treatment. There's as much of a chance that the treatment could kill him instead of heal him. He's pretty old (11 this year) but still, when pets get sick, I can't help but worry. The last time something like this happened, I was 16, and Lucky was still young and strong. I'm not sure if he can beat this one, though. Apparently, the heart attacks will keep coming, at a higher frequency. What if we're not there when the next one happens? That's what I'm most scared of.

Please, stay with us.

No comments: