Thursday, January 27, 2011

Conviction

The book Crazy Love by Francis Chan has been so convicting. Every chapter has some truth that hits me hard - it's a reminder of my own brokenness and selfishness as a girl who is in dire need of God's grace. But it also speaks of God's radical love and His passionate love for His children.

Another quote about the generosity of God:

"God didn't just give a little for us; He gave us His best. He gave Himself. John is saying that it is no different for us (1 John 3:16-20): True love requires sacrifice. And our love is shown by how we live our lives: 'Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in trust.'"

I think this quote applies to all types of love and all types of relationships. Relationships require work and sacrifice on both ends, to gain a deeper level of intimacy and trust. The process is really hard and sometimes we are tempted to just throw up our hands and think, "Forget this! It's not worth it."

The funny thing is, it's ALWAYS worth it. Despite the trials and the hard times, finding intimacy in a friendship or relationship is worth the sacrifice.

Francis Chan writes later in the same chapter,"When it is hard and you are doubtful, give more."

It's so radically different to the way people think nowadays. I know that I have thought this on multiple occasions... why do I need to give more? Isn't the bare minimum enough? In my own selfishness, I have chosen on occasion to do what's best for me and what's comfortable for me. I'm sure we all have.

But God calls us to do more, to give more, to sacrifice more... not for our own glory, but for His.

It's much easier said than done, but God has been teaching me to love more and sacrifice more for His glory through my job (on those really rough days, when I question my calling to teach... they are rare and far between, but it does happen sometimes). It's also really easy to appear as if you're giving a lot but the giving is not motivated by love. In that case, it is all worthless.

It all goes back to the heart. Who are we doing these things for? And for what purpose?

Very convicting.

No comments: